Manchester United vs West Ham United
Competition: Premier League
Venue: Old Trafford
Date: Aug 13; 2017
Kick off: 4:00 pm
Managers: Jose Mourinho; Slaven Bilic
Man United: —–
West Ham: —–
Head to Head Stats:
02.01.17 – PL West Ham – Manchester United 0 : 2
01.12.16 – CC Manchester United – West Ham 4 : 1
27.11.16 – PL Manchester United – West Ham 1 : 1
10.05.16 – PL West Ham – Manchester United 3 : 2
13.04.16 – FAC West Ham – Manchester United 1 : 2
Man United team news:
- Luke Shaw, Ashley Young and Marcos Rojo remain out as they continue to recover from long-term injuries sustained last season.
- Eric Bailly and Phil Jones missed Tuesday’s UEFA Super Cup defeat to Real Madrid through suspension, but their continental suspension does not impact domestic matches.
- United, who finished fifth last season but qualified for the Champions League through their Europa League success, will be looking for a speedy start as Mourinho prepares for his second full season in charge.
West Ham team news:
- West Ham expect defender Aaron Cresswell to be available for their opening Premier League match on Sunday.
- Captain Mark Noble has shaken off a minor toe problem which saw the midfielder miss a couple of day’s training, but Michail Antonio will not be involved as he continues his recovery from a hamstring injury with a run-out for the Under 23s against Everton on Friday night.
- Striker Hernandez could feature against his old club, while fellow summer signings Hart, Zabaleta, Arnautovic and teenager Sead Haksabanovic could also make their Hammers debut.
- Forward Andy Carroll (groin), Diafra Sakho (back), midfielder Manuel Lanzini and Cheikhou Kouyate (both knee) all continue their rehabilitation.
Man United Possible Lineup:
West Ham Possible Lineup: Hart, Ogbonna, Reid, Cresswell, Zabaleta, Obiang, Noble, Arnautovic, Lanzini, Ayew, Chicharito
Match facts (via Opta):
- Three of the last five Premier League games between these two clubs have ended in a draw, with one win apiece in this run.
- United are unbeaten in their last nine Premier League home games with West Ham (W7 D2 L0) – their last home league defeat against the Hammers was on the final day of the 2006-07 season.
- No team has won more opening day fixtures in the Premier League than United (16, level with Chelsea).
- West Ham have lost more opening day fixtures than any other Premier League club (10).
- Jose Mourinho has won seven of his previous eight opening day Premier League fixtures as a manager (D1).
- Mourinho has never lost a home match on a Sunday in all competitions in his managerial career, winning 86 and drawing 26 of 112 games.
- Lukaku scored in seven straight Premier League matches for Everton against West Ham between 2013 and 2016, but failed to find the net in his last match against them in April at the London Stadium.
- Hernandez scored 37 goals in 103 Premier League games for Man Utd, netting a goal every 130 minutes for the club.
Prediction: Manchester United 2-1 West Ham