Arsenal 26-year-old defender plans to secure starting spot at Emirates Stadium

By | May 6, 2022

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta says loanee Hector Bellerin remains in his Gunners plans for next season as long as the defender has a contract with the capital outfit.


The Spaniard, a former Barcelona academy prodigy, arrived in north London back in 2011 and spent his entire professional career with the Gunners before signing for Real Betis on a season-long loan last year.

The 27-year-old star, a childhood Los Verdiblancos fan, has enjoyed a brilliant campaign back in his homeland, helping them with the Copa de Rey and still stand a chance of qualifying for next term’s Champions League.

Reports have suggested Hector favours a permanent move in the summer rather than returning to the Emirates but Mikel has suggested the player will be in his plans should Bellerin head back to north London.

‘Any player with a contractual obligation with us is our player and considered our player. So every plan is considering that possibility [that Bellerin stays] and how they can fit into the team.’ he told the press.

Meantime, William Saliba has allegedly decided to stay put and fight for his place at his parent club next season.

His rapid rise at the Orange Velodrome outfit has led to reports that Marseille could try to keep the player on the books permanently.

However, TEAMtalk now states that Saliba intends to stay at the Gunners and compete for a senior team spot with the likes of Rob Holding, Ben White and Gabriel Magalhaes next term.