Arsenal Round-Up: Injury Update, South American Forward on Radar, Battle For Ligue 1 Star

February 6, 2019

Arsenal manager provides positive injury update over £90,000 a-week star

Arsenal boss Unai Emery is confident that Shkodran Mustafi did not suffer a potentially long-term injury during the Premier League clash with Manchester City at Emirates Stadium.

The German defender was forced off in the latter stages of Arsenal’s 3-1 loss to the English champions with what appeared to be back problem.

There had been fears that the defender could join an injury list which includes Rob Holding, Hector Bellerin and Sokratis, but Unai Emery is hopeful that the central defender has not suffered a fresh setback.

“I think he’s okay. He’s been having problems all this week and last week,” the Spanish boss told reporters.

“I think last week he is with some problems also in his head and today, when in the last 20 minutes he was also with some problems, I decided to give [Konstantinos] Mavropanos 20 minutes. I hope it is not a problem with Mustafi for this week and the next match.”

The Gunners will attempt to return to winning ways in the Premier League when they travel to basement side Huddersfield Town next weekend as Manchester United hold the fifth place int the table.

Arsenal set to finalise transfer of 23-year-old Ligue 1 star

Arsenal believes they hold a significant advantage in the running to sign PSG contract rebel Adrien Rabiot, who has rejected several contract offers from the club and is keen on leaving on a free transfer in the summer.

Barcelona were the favourites to sign the France international, but a move to Camp Nou now looks unlikely given the Blaugrana invested £65 million on Ajax superstar Frenkie de Jong in January.

Liverpool are also keen on Adrien Rabiot, but Arsenal, according to the Mirror, feel Unai Emery’s relationship with the player could help convince him that his future lies in the red half of north London.

The Gunners were restricted to making loan signings during the winter transfer window and failed in a late attempt to sign Adrien Rabiot’s teammate Christopher Nkunku last month.

The North Londoners are, however, expected to have a substantial budget to work with come the summer and could offer Rabiot lucrative terms, if they can find a buyer for Mesut Ozil.

This week it was reported that the Frenchman, who spent a year at Manchester City earlier in his career before returning to his homeland, would prefer a move to Anfield over Spurs, whose attempts to so sign him were mocked by their former defender William Gallas.

In an interview with Leo Vegas, Gallas said: ‘There is no chance that Rabiot will go to Tottenham. If he leaves Paris Saint-Germain, he will join a big club who wins trophies.’

Arsenal are eyeing summer move for 21-year-old Brazilian forward

Arsenal are attempting to loan Tottenham Hotspur target Malcom from Barcelona for the next season, and if they are successful in their efforts to snare the Brazilian, it would be surely a bitter pill for their fierce rivals Tottenham to swallow.

The 21-year-old joined Barcelona in the summer from Bordeaux, for around £36.5 million, but he has desperately struggled to establish himself at Camp Nou while the Brazilian could be a sensational signing for Arsenal.

The Gunners want him on loan for the rest of the season and would have to pay £50 million to sign him on a permanent deal in next transfer window – a fee that Arsenal would be ready to match.

And if the winger does seal a switch to Emirates, it really would be a devastating blow for Spurs.

According to Sport, Tottenham have been in contact with Barcelona all month regarding the prospect of signing Malcom on loan to a permanent switch in the summer window.

Despite the South American’s recent struggles, he still has real potential to go on and become a star, and if given a chance to play regularly, he would surely prove to everyone what all the fuss about him is.