Brentford refusing to listen offers for Arsenal dream target

By | September 21, 2020

Brentford have rejected Arsenal’s latest bid for their goalkeeper David Raya and are refusing to countenance the exit of the Spaniard this summer.

Mikel Arteta sanctioned the departure of the Argentine star Emiliano Martinez earlier this week having restored Bernd Leno to the starting XI last weekend.

Martinez starred in the absence of the Germany international last campaign and helped the Gunners win the FA Cup and Community Shield.

The 27-year-old keeper was, however, reluctant to play second fiddle to Bernd and joined Aston Villa in a £20 million deal.

Arsenal are expected to confirm the landing of Runar Alex Runarsson from Dijon within the next 24 hours, but Mikel remains keen on capturing Raya and installing the 25-year-old as Bernd’s understudy.

Raya is known to the Gunners’ new goalkeeping coach Inaki Cana who worked with the ex-Blackburn goalkeeper during their time together at Brentford.

Last term’s beaten Championship play-off finalists are determined to retain the services of one of their prize assets and, according to the Guardian, have already knocked back multiple offers of £10m.

Arsenal are also said to have offered to loan David back to Brentford for the entirety of the upcoming term but that proposal has also been knocked back.

The club have already raised £28 million from the sale of forward Ollie Watkins to Aston Villa during the close season and are expected to receive a similar sum should Said Benrahma leave amid reported interest from the likes of Crystal Palace.