Chelsea vs Crystal Palace
Competition: Premier League
Venue: Stamford Bridge
Date: April 1; 2017
Kick off: 3:00 pm
Managers: Antonio Conte; Sam Allardyce
Crystal Palace: WWWLL
Head to Head Stats:
17.12.16 – PL Crystal Palace – Chelsea 0 : 1
03.01.16 – PL Crystal Palace – Chelsea 0 : 3
29.08.15 – PL Chelsea – Crystal Palace 1 : 2
03.05.15 – PL Chelsea – Crystal Palace 1 : 0
18.10.14 – PL Crystal Palace – Chelsea 1 : 2
Chelsea team news:
- Eden Hazard is expected to recover from a calf injury but Chelsea could opt to leave him out of Saturday’s clash.
- Conte says he has a number of fitness issues to assess ahead of kick-off and goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois (hip) returned to training on Thursday.
- Striker Diego Costa shrugged off a foot and ankle problem when on international duty with Spain, while Victor Moses (calf) is a doubt, but John Terry is back in contention.
Crystal Palace team news:
- Crystal Palace remain without Patrick van Aanholt.
- The Dutchman is recovering from an ankle injury and could be joined as an absentee by Fraizer Campbell, who has a knock, and James McArthur, who is suffering from back spasms.
- Mathieu Flamini could again be available having returned to training. Connor Wickham and Pape Souare, meanwhile, remain long-term absentees.
Chelsea possible lineup vs Palace
Crystal Palace possible lineup: Hennessey, Schlupp, Sakho, Tomkins, Ward, Milivojevic, Cabaye, Townsend, Puncheon, Zaha, Benteke
Match facts (via Opta):
- Chelsea have won four of their last five Premier League games against the Eagles, losing the other at Stamford Bridge last season. Crystal Palace’s away win at Chelsea in August 2015 is their only top-flight away win at Stamford Bridge (D5 L8).
- Chelsea have won the most points in London derbies this season in the Premier League (15), while Palace have lost all five they’ve been involved in.
- Chelsea have used the fewest players (21) and made the fewest changes to their starting XI overall (26) in the Premier League this season. In 2015-16, the champions Leicester City also topped these categories (33 changes to starting XI and 23 players used).
- Costa’s next Premier League goal will be his 50th in the competition and would be the seventh Chelsea player to reach that milestone for the club.
- If Costa does score in this game, he will have reached 50 goals in 81 Premier League appearances. The only players to do this in fewer games were Andrew Cole (65), Alan Shearer (66), Ruud van Nistelrooy (68) and Fernando Torres (72) and he would equal Sergio Aguero’s record (81 games).
- This game could see the top three most fouled players in the 2016-17 Premier League season on the pitch – Wilfried Zaha (78 fouls won), Eden Hazard (75) and Costa (68).
- Chelsea have scored the first goal of a Premier League game on a league-high 22 occasions this season, while only Sunderland (20) have conceded the first goal more often than Palace (19).
- Christian Benteke has scored in four different Premier League games against Chelsea; against no side has he scored in more games in the competition (also four games v Sunderland and Swansea).
Prediction: Chelsea 2-0 Crystal Palace