Chelsea really wanted to sign Italy international Barella in £45m January deal

By | October 9, 2019

Italy international Nicolo Barella has admitted that he opted against signing for Chelsea in the January transfer window. Before Chelsea were hit with a transfer embargo, they were quite active at the beginning of the year.

The American star Christian Pulisic was signed for £57 million before being loaned back to Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund for the second half of last term, while Spain international Cesc Fabregas was sold to AS Monaco after finding first-team chances limited under Italian manager Maurizio Sarri.

In terms of incomings, Argentina international Gonzalo Higuain joined on loan from the Serie A side Juventus but there was one that got away from the Blues.

Barella, who was connected with a £45 million move to Stamford Bridge at the beginning of the year as a successor for Cesc Fabregas, commented on why a reported transfer did not happen in January.

“Chelsea had been looking to sign me in January, the negotiations were concrete,” Nicolo told an Italian daily newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.

“At Cagliari I said: ‘it is not an easy time for the team, I will stay until the end of the season. Then I will make a decision’.”

The Italy did make a decision on his long-term future in the summer as he joined Nerazzurri who are now managed by ex-Blues chief Antonio Conte.

Barella has enjoyed a solid start to life at the club after making an impression in Inter Milan’s all matches during this season.


Golazogoal.com All Rights Reserved 2019