In-demand Ligue 1 midfielder responds to Chelsea transfer links

By | January 28, 2020

Lille midfielder Boubakary Soumare has played down rumours that he could be set for a move to the Premier League amid interest from Man Utd and Chelsea.

The 20-year-old has had an eye-catching season with fifth-placed Lille in the French top-tier and is widely regarded as one of the most promising players in the European football at the moment.

Last week, Sky Sports reported that Soumare was certain to join an English team this winter and suggested that the Blues were winning the race for the promising Frenchman.

It was reported that while the 20-year-old midfielder was ‘tempted’ by the prospect of a switch to the Red Devils, the youngster was ‘leaning towards’ a move to Frank Lampard’s side, with the Blues prepared to meet the Lille’s asking price £40million.

However, the Frenchman claims he’s committed to French outfits until at least the end of the campaign and an exit from the club is not on the cards’ before the transfer deadline.

On the recent speculation, the player himself told L’Equipe: ‘It has not worried me. Reporting matters to the people who read it and the people who write it.

‘I do not see myself leaving. I feel good here. I am learning, we have big objectives to attain, like qualification for the Champions League. A departure is not on the cards.

‘I want to do a full season, yes. I am not saying that I am in the starting XI, but the place that I have in the team today, I worked hard to get through the work that I put in, I won it. I cannot see myself leaving without seeing this through.

‘I feel good, my team-mates help me. It is not the time to leave. I do not want to leave with any regrets.’

Asked whether he’s made his intentions clear to his own team, he replied: ‘Yes, of course.

‘I have already had discussions with the coach. I told him very clearly.

‘I have a very precise idea of where I want to go in my career.

‘I know today where I am and I like being here.’