LA Clippers owner rules out Liverpool takeover

By | November 24, 2022

Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has no interest in buying Liverpool from John W Henry.


The Anfield faithful were rocked by the news that Fenway Sports Group were considering a sale earlier this month, having spent 12 years at the helm.

Henry initially purchased Liverpool in a £300m deal back in October 2010 and has overseen a major transformation over the past decade, including the hiring of Jurgen Klopp and subsequent haul of trophies.

The Reds also made their move to the AXA Training Complex in Kirkby under Henry’s ownership, and ongoing redevelopments to Anfield will increase the stadium’s capacity to over 60,000.

However, FSG are now on the lookout for new investors and would be open to a full sale in the correct circumstances, which has led to several big names being linked with a takeover.

American business magnate Ballmer spent 14 years as Microsoft CEO between 2000 and 2014, and the 66-year-old also owns the Los Angeles Clippers NBA team.

Ballmer – who is estimated to possess a personal fortune of $79.1bn (£67bn) – has been tipped to make a bid for Liverpool, but a reporter from the Los Angeles Times received a “definitive” response from the Clippers owner when they questioned him on such a possibility.

As quoted by The Mirror, the reporter stated that Ballmer is focusing all his efforts into his endeavours with the Clippers, saying: “When I sat down with Ballmer recently and asked if he would be interested in buying any other sports franchises he said no.

“And it was a definitive no. He said he already spends enough time focused on the Clippers and now building a new arena for them. Said he’s not interested in devoting time to another team.”

Ballmer is the latest name to rule himself out of the running to buy Liverpool, with Sir Jim Ratcliffe and the Ricketts Family also not believed to be interested in a takeover.

FSG partner Sam Kennedy recently affirmed that the American company has received “a lot of interest” from potential investors into Liverpool, but the chances of a full takeover imminently are slim.

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner has confirmed that FSG are weighing up the possibility of a sale, but they are prepared to remain at the helm for years to come if a prospective buyer does not come forward.

“We’re exploring a sale, but there’s no urgency, no time frame for us, and as far as I’m concerned, it’s business as usual. One outcome could be our continued stewardship for quite a while,” Werner told the Boston Globe.

Henry is said to be after at least £2.5bn to consider selling Liverpool, and FSG are apparently in talks with an anonymous US-based buyer over a £2.7bn deal.