La Liga £55m-rated defender set to snub Chelsea interest in favour of Barcelona

By | July 24, 2022

French defender Jules Kounde has decided to turn down a move to Chelsea and is waiting for La Liga giants Barcelona to finalise an agreement with Sevilla, according to reports in Spain.


The Blues agreed to a £55 million deal with La Liga giants, Sevilla earlier this week, while Jules Kounde has indicated that he would be willing to sign a five-year deal with Thomas Tuchel’s team.

However, the Catalan giants have been urging Kounde to wait for their move and the France international has now put the brakes on a move to Chelsea for the time being.

According to AS, Xavi has been instrumental in persuading the 23-year-old Frenchman to hold out for the Catalan giants as he has told the defender that he will be a vital part of his plans at Camp Nou.

The report suggests that Kounde is ‘flattered and excited’ by Xavi’s message and has given Barcelona’s managed his word that he will wait for the La Liga giants to agree a deal with Sevilla.

Cataln giants are now preparing a €55m (£46.7m) offer to Sevilla for their star player.

On Thursday, Barcelona president Joan Laporta appeared to concede defeat in the race to secure the services of Kounde after telling a supporter that the defender ‘is going to sign for Chelsea’.

Tuchel, meanwhile, refused to give an update on the Blues move for Kounde when asked the following day.

‘There is no news,’ said Tuchel.

‘If there will be news about Jules Kounde I will tell you. I will not start commenting on other players.’