Red Devils are not yet ready to admit defeat in their offer to sign Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund but are already considering alternative targets. The Norwegian boss had made a deal for Sancho his No.1 focus this summer, but the German giants are refusing to be railroaded into sanctioning the departure of their prize asset.
Borussia Dortmund’s sporting director came out fighting on Monday as England international joined up with his team-mates for a pre-season training camp in Switzerland after Man United failed to agree on a deal for Jadon before a reported deadline of August 10.
‘We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season,’ Zorc said at the team’s training camp on Monday afternoon. ‘The decision is final. I think that answers all of the questions.’ Zorc also revealed that Bundesliga giants had extended the English winger’s deal by another year last summer.
‘Last summer, we adjusted Jadon’s salary to match the development of his performances,’ he said. ‘So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then.’ While Red Devils could yet move for Jadon later this summer, the UEL semi-finalists could turn their attention to Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele.
The 23-year-old forward has endured a turbulent three-years in Spain with a succession of injuries and disciplinary breaches undermining his efforts to cement a regular first-team spot.
Indeed, the World Cup winner hasn’t played since November and underwent hamstring surgery in February. The Frenchman is not part of the Barcelona squad which flew to Lisbon for the latter stages of the UCL.