PSV Eindhoven chief confirms Man Utd interest in creative 23-year-old winger

By | September 14, 2022

PSV Eindhoven director John de Jong has revealed that he expected Man United to push through with a formal move for Cody Gakpo during the final days of the summer transfer window.


Having established himself as one of the top young prospects in the Eredivisie, Gakpo has been tipped to eventually make the move to a top European team.

Although PSV were not interested in negotiating a sale while they participates in the Champions League qualifying rounds, a transfer felt likely to take place during the final week of summer transfer window.

However, despite interest from the likes of Southampton, Leeds and Man Utd a deal failed to materialise, leaving the attacker at PSV until at least January.

The 23-year-old star acknowledged at the end of last week that he would have been interested in securing a transfer to Old Trafford, particularly as it seemed likely at one stage.

Speaking to PSV TV, Gakpo said: “Manchester United had reported at the beginning of the transfer window. We were waiting for that a bit.

“The signals became more and more positive and at a certain point I thought it might fall in that direction. That option faded a bit and completely last week. We worked the whole window towards it. Until last week I thought I would go to Manchester United.”

The Netherlands international’s reports have now been backed up by De Jong, who suggests that the Dutch team were open to negotiating a deal.

De Jong told Voetbal International: “Manchester United signed up at the beginning of the transfer period. They expressed their interest. But after that, it took a long time.”

“In the end, as management, we had talks with United between the games against Rangers. Then it seemed to get more concrete, but that faded and at the end of the window the option to sell him to United was no longer there.”

United instead opted to pay £85m to secure services of Ajax winger Antony who has scored on his debut against Arsenal.